Wednesday 8 February 2012




All hail the Culture King



STORY OF A SONG "VIRTUOUS WOMAN"

Virtuous Woman made an indelible Mark on the World and signifies the rise of a MAN on a mission to spread love and togetherness. Warrior King is continuing the footsteps of those who have gone before.
Warrior King records hit song twice

Published: Sunday Gleaner | January 23, 2011 0 Comments
Mel Cooke, Gleaner Writer
Warrior King says that he was nervous when he went into the small studio at Anchor, Windsor Avenue, St Andrew, to record Virtuous Woman. He was the youngster of the crop of artistes doing songs on the rhythm, the others including Luciano, LUST, Junior Kelly and George Nooks.
However, he hit the song in one take and the response of the persons who were at the session was very encouraging.
So was the feedback from persons who heard Virtuous Woman on a high-bias cassette ("them time we not even have CD") Warrior King carried home. But in the midst of the joy, there was a call from producer Michael 'Mikey Chang' Johnson to record Virtuous Woman again.
Confident
"To me I did it good. A pure excitement. But the producer and engineer Nigel thought I could do it better. Me did feel a way, but the producer must know and if me do it already, me can do it again or even better," Warrior King said.
Plus, he said, "me get confident now."
So the following day Warrior King went back to the studio and did Virtuous Woman again, hitting it in one take. However, before starting to record, he read Psalm 57 outside the studio door. The Psalm goes in part:

"I will sing and make music
Awake, my soul."
Virtuous Woman was released about a year and a half after it was recorded and Warrior King says he first heard it played on radio by Elise Kelly on March 6, 2001, at 1:25 p.m. He said when he heard it "cold bump full me body, me flip. Me run and flip. Me never know me could flip."

VIRTUOUS WOMAN VIDEO
Kelly giving Virtuous Woman exposure was fitting, as Warrior King had listened to her reading from 'Acts of Faith' on IRIE FM and had been struck by the concept that a person will meet their partner at the right time.
On the charts
He says Virtuous Woman was top of the charts in Jamaica for 13 weeks. He first performed it on a show at the Mas Camp Village, New Kingston, staged by George Nooks, this before the song was really popular.
However, he remembers a performance at Fayor's Entertainment Centre, Mandeville, where "when me done is like a Michael Jackson thing. Woman a run me down, them a tear down the car an' a lick ova fence".
The song led to Warrior King's first overseas performance trip, when he did two and a half weeks in the United States and Canada with Luciano, Copeland Forbes marshalling the tour party. His debut album, titled Virtuous Woman, was released in October 2002.
 VIRTUOUS WOMAN LIVE

"To me that song is a divine inspiration. It is bigger than me. Is like the Most High use me," Warrior King said. "That was the song that made Warrior King known to the world."

No comments:

Post a Comment